[TowerTalk] Two radio overload?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 05:19:46 -0600

Your description fails to mention whether the two antennas
will be pointing at each other or away from each other.  It
makes a BIG difference.

To determine the amount of coupling, point the antennas
at each other, feed 1KW into one and put a dummy load
on the other with a wattmeter in line.  Measure the coupled
power and you will know your worst case coupling.

My old TS830's have a transverter connector which interrupts
the RX line.  I built "protection boxes" for each radio using a
series 2 Watt 22 Ohm non-inductive (carbon comp) resistor
followed by two stacks of 4 low capacitance (pin) diodes
oriented in opposite directions.  NO more burned out antenna
coils.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:38:30 EST W0AH@aol.com writes:
> A friend of mine and I plan to operate this weekend's 10M test and
> are
> thinking of using his IC-756PRO barefoot connected to a 3 element
> monobander
> at 40' pointing mainly toward the Carribean and South America.  My
> FT-1000
> and Titan 425 at one KW out will be connected to the KT-34XA at 40'
> pointed
> mainly at Europe or Asia/Pacific.
> Question.  With the towers and antennas about 90' apart do we risk
> damaging
> the fronts ends of the transceivers, especially the IC-756PRO?
> Can anyone suggest an better way to use the second transceiver for
> South
> America plusS+P while running with the FT-1000 and amp.
> Doug  W0AH

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.