[TowerTalk] Log Periodics & 2 Element Beams

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 06:41:42 -0600

> In a message dated 12/8/00 1:39:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> n4zr@contesting.com writes:
>
> <<
>  Extrapolating only slightly, I think there is even less of a case
> to be made for a single-band LPDA without parasitic elements,
> since such  an antenna offers the worst of both worlds -- less gain,
> less F/B,  greater weight and complexity, and no better useful SWR
> bandwidth than an equivalent-boomlength OWA yagi or other modern
> design.
>
>  73, Pete N4ZR >>

This is certainly true for narrow the bandwidths on 12, 15, 17, 20, 30
meters, but what about wider bandwiths such as all of 10 and 40M
which occupy 4% of the operating frequency?

N4ZC has two 4L wire LP's for 80M to cover 3.5 to 3.9 MHz
(12% BW).  Maybe that could be done with a broadband dipole
(or ladderline fed dipole) and two reflectors, one tuned to 3650
for SSB and the other tuned to 3350 for CW.

de Tom N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.