[TowerTalk] Re: [TowerTalk] Can take-off angle be too low? Comme nt de KØFF

K0FF K0FF@ARRL.NET
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:30:49 -0600

Sorry I haven't had time to follow this thread very closely, but would like
add that 10M as well as 6M enjoys Es skip seasonally as well as F skip,
and the arrival angles are very different. On 6M especially it is evident in
the
 summer when Es signals, even from EU are better on lower ( or "tuned
against ground")
antennas, VS just brute height. My experiments have shown reliable results
tracking
F VS Es and it is quite pronounced. On 10M, the situation is similar, but of
course
there is a great deal more F2 to enjoy.
One thing for sure is that there is no one antenna perfect for every type of
propagation
situation. However very good compromise heights have been worked out, and of
course the
best answer is to have either separate towers, or at least stacked antennas
at different
heights to take advantage of different skip conditions.

Other modes are available on 6M as well, including tropo, Meteor Scatter and
Aurora, and each
of these adds to the complexity of choosing but a single antenna.
Suffice to say, that in terms of wavelength, higher is not always better.

For my 6M experiments, I use an 11 el at 105', a 7 el on a 60- ft motorized
tower,
and 4 x 6 el on a 72' motorized tower, also with full elevation.
For a real kick try even a short 10M beam on an elevation
mount....surprising
to see from what part of the sky the signal is really coming from.

Depending upon the exact band conditions, each of these antennas is far
superior
than the others. This same effect is very evident on 20M due to the arrival
angles during the
daytime being higher than at night ( over the pole long haul). An antenna
setup designed
to be most effective from the US Midwest to VU for example
( say stacked monobanders at 1 and 2 WL) may very well be trounced into the
Caribbean by a
tribander at 50 feet, on occasion. Come the long haul though, the tribander
is deaf.

If a single antenna is all that can be accomplished, on 6M the best
compromise height works
out to be just short of  3 wavelengths (abt 55 feet.). This height gives
good lobes at the low angles required for F, and also another major lobe at
12+ degrees required for Es. Scaled up for 10 meters(10.5 meters actually =
28.5 MHz), that would be around 100 feet.

I'm afraid that many on-air comparisons may be skewed by interactions with
other
antennas on the same tower, or on other towers spaced too closely. My towers
are
space out 250 feet apart for this reason.

Nothing here contradicts data supplied by others. The datum are correct,
it's just that the scenario changes so drastically on theses higher bands.

Happy Building, Geo>KØFF
http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF