[TowerTalk] Yaesu GA-3000 tower absorber

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:32:25 EST

In a message dated 12/11/00 7:33:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, n7us@arrl.net
writes:

> Has anyone used one of these things and, if so, what do you think??  They
>  are shown on p. 141 of the Fall/Winter AES catalog.  It looks to me to be a
>  two-plate sandwich with big rubber grommets/bumpers in between.  I'm
>  assuming it mounts below a rotor to minimize the torque on a tower.
>
>  They aren't cheap (compared to what??) at $120 for the one for the
>  G1000/G-2800 (I have the latter rotor).  I'm thinking it's good insurance
>  against wind damage to the tower.  In my case, I'll have a C-31XR above the
>  tower top and a F-12 MAG 340 toward the top of a 20' chrome-molly mast.
The
>  tower is a US Tower HDX-589MDPL.  (Used to have a TW-33XL 3L WARC antenna
on
>  it too in NM, but the tower was only up 49' there.)

    Dave Leeson, W6NL, ex-W6QHS, started using BMW parts to absorb rotational
shocks a bunch of years ago. One or two companies introduced them but they
wouldn't hold together so they fell out of favor. When I was at Hy-Gain,
Roger Cox felt that using one would increase rotator capacity by about 25%.

    I don't know anything about the one you mentioned.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech