[TowerTalk] Yaesu GA-3000 tower absorber

Michael Tope Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:41:08 -0800

Hi Jim,

Warren, KE6LEA and I built one these flex-disc shock mount for one of the towers
at the Caltech Amateur Radio Club. We used a Mercedes-Benz Flex Disc (a.k.a.
Hardy Disc) coupled on one end to the output spindle of an M-Squared Orion
OR-2800 rotator, and a homebrew steel mast clamp flange on the other. The system
is used to turn a KLM 4el 40M yagi and KT-34XA both with the heavy duty
boom options (~ 300 lbs of antenna). Our first inspection of the installation
earlier in the summer revealed that several of the grade 8 flange bolts had fallen
out of the steel flange, so we added a set of grade 8 jam nuts to each of the
6 flange bolts. After getting a considerable workout in Sweepstakes and CQ WW,
I need to go back up the tower sometime soon and inspect all the hardware
to see if anything has loosened.

You can see pictures of the setup at http://www.its.caltech.edu/~w6ue/antenna-pictures.html

73 de Mike, W4EF.............