[TowerTalk] frost on a antenna

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:11:39 EST

In a message dated 12/13/00 1:38:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
w9ol@billnjudy.com writes:

> When my tower is nested fully, the boom is about 1 foot higher than my
>  chimney.
>  If the antenna is directed east or west the boom is over the flue pipe and
>  it's warm gases.
>  I noticed this morning that there was that white (I think it's called
>  'hoarfrost') on the section of boom and elements above the flue pipe.
>
>  It's natural gas furnace and water heater that is exhausting at that point.
>
>  Does the frost or the natural gas combustion byproducts cause any damage?

    Not that I know of. If you had a wood stove, I'd be a little more worried
about particulates but I don't think they'd have much impact on the antenna
performance anyway.

    Your big enemy is oxidation and the aforementioned phenomena doesn't have
anything to do with that.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech