[TowerTalk] Homebrew Towers & Liability

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:21:29 EST

In a message dated 12/13/00 1:04:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, dxdog@rcn.com
writes:

> With all due respect for the unfortunate reality behind K0FF's concerns, I
>  guess I really don't understand why homebrew towers would deserve any
>  greater concern over liability than would other homebrew items. Most of us
>  homebrew antennas that might break and fall on someone. QST and CQ, etc,
run
>  articles every month describing homebrew stuff that can kill people at a
>  touch in the wrong place. If we extend the "fear of liability", maybe
nobody
>  would "dare" write another homebrew article, or even pass along a tip on
>  this reflector. Doesn't all homebrew have inherent risks of some sort, just
>  like getting out of bed in the morning and everything that follows? Where
do
>  we draw the line?

    Well, you're talking about apples and oranges. Whereas homebrew radio
stuff does carry *some* sort of danger ("Ouch, I poked my eye with the rubber
duck antenna"), they aren't structures subject to Mother Nature (and building
codes, etc.) that may cause dire consequences. They are also "attractive
nuisances" that the neighbor kid might try to climb. Something that comes
crashing down off of a tower is of more interest to me than dropping my
homebrew amplifier, tuner, etc.

    Point of fact: tower manufacturing companies are insurance-driven; that
is, liability insurance is one of their biggest expenses. And it ain't cheap.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech