[TowerTalk] Homebrew Towers & Liability

Jerry Keller dxdog@rcn.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:55:42 -0500

Steve   K7LXC
> Tower Tech,  wrote:
     "Well, you're talking about apples and oranges. Whereas homebrew radio
> stuff does carry *some* sort of danger ("Ouch, I poked my eye with the
rubber
> duck antenna"), they aren't structures subject to Mother Nature (and
building
> codes, etc.) that may cause dire consequences. They are also "attractive
> nuisances" that the neighbor kid might try to climb. Something that comes
> crashing down off of a tower is of more interest to me than dropping my
> homebrew amplifier, tuner, etc.
>
>     Point of fact: tower manufacturing companies are insurance-driven;
that
> is, liability insurance is one of their biggest expenses. And it ain't
cheap."

OK, Steve, towers are greater liability concerns than SWR bridges, but the
point was about homebrew towers vs. commercial towers. Some of us find
commercial towers a little expensive, as are commercial antennas. We
homebrew antennas, why not towers? Why would a well-designed and constructed
homebrew tower present a greater liability risk than a commercial tower?
Jerry, K3MGT