[TowerTalk] Re: Guy tension adjustment?

Nat Davis ndavis@vt.edu
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:15:42 -0500

>I will install a Guy tower 18 mtr high next week, I read that the correct
>guy tension is aprox 10% of his max admisible Strenght, that is more or less
>400 pounds for a 3/16 EHS wire.
>My question is how can I measure such tension on the guy ?
>Any help?
>Francisco LU3EEC.

 From lots of replies on this list over the years, Loos guy wire tension
gauges seem to be about the best way to check your guy tension.  There are
several models.  In each case, the device clips onto the guy above your
turnbuckle and you read the tension off of a scale on the device.  The
device can be left on the guy while you adjust the tension, too.  I bought
the PT-2 model and it made installing and tensioning my guys really
easy.  I paid $60 for it from Champion Radio Sales
(http://www.championradio.com).

There are other ways to "guess" at the tension that have been discussed on
this list (check the archives!).  None seemed worth loosing the tower over
in an effort to save a few dollars on the tension gauge.

Good luck,

Nat Davis
N4EL