[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.

John Cramond john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 08:04:58 +0000

In message <esun3t06g0ivip5nlc6o050mnvi3snqf4d@4ax.com>, Bill Turner
<w7ti@jps.net> writes
>On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:21:48 +0000, John Cramond wrote:
>
>>I lubricate the wire twice a year with
>>motorcycle chain lubricant. It is available in pressurised cans and is
>>designed to penetrate and exclude water.
>
>I haven't heard of this stuff before.  How does it compare to WD-40?
>
>w7ti

There is no comparison Bill. WD-40 is a penetrant for freeing rusted
parts and has to be very thin to allow it to penetrate. After a period
of time it will have totally disappeared.

The motor cycle chain lubricant on the other hand is also very thin when
applied, but the carrier evaporates and leaves the grease behind. Many
greases and oils are soluble in water. You may have found that some
mineral based grease turns white after being subjected to water. The
grease in the motor cycle chain lubricant is specifically designed to
exclude water and is based on calcium or lithium. Any place that sells
motor cycles will carry it. I have found it to be  ideal for lubricating
wire ropes that are subjected to the extremes of weather.

John
--
John Cramond - GM4NHI
<john@gm4nhi.demon.co.uk>