[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.

Gary McDuffie, Sr. ag0n@arrl.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:23:34 -0700

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 09:17:13 EST, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/17/00 12:21:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> eugenej@onepine.com writes:
>
> > I'm going to quote from the Audel Millwrights And Mechanics Guide
>
>     Hold on there, Pilgrim - you've got apples and oranges going on here.

I wonder how that recipe would work for lubing the sliding contact areas
of the tower so I could get it down easier when the wind outdoes the
forecast like it did the other day.  Just kidding.  Can you imagine the
dirt buildup on that stuff in my blowing dirt environment!

I'm still looking for something to help that situation out.  Forecast
was for 25-35 MPH.  When it hit 51 MPH, I went out and started coaxing
it down.  Took a half hour to catch enough lulls to let it slide, but I
got it down.  That's the first time I've been at the bottom and seen it
actually flex during gusts.  I'm going to try to install my cheater rope
at the top today.  That way, I can pull on the upwind side when
something like that happens again.

Gary
Tower project at www.qsl.net/ag0n

ag0n at arrl dot net