[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:11:46 EST

In a message dated 12/17/00 10:24:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mcduffie@actcom.net writes:

> I wonder how that recipe would work for lubing the sliding contact areas
>  of the tower so I could get it down easier when the wind outdoes the
>  forecast like it did the other day.  Just kidding.  Can you imagine the
>  dirt buildup on that stuff in my blowing dirt environment!

    Well, new towers come with some sort of tenacious grease inside the legs
where the sliding points are but eventually it disappears too. I haven't been
able to find out what it is but will let you know when I do.

    That's probably something else to do semi-annually (or annually) when you
PM the tower. There's a significant amount of friction in the slide contact
area (and also when trying to pull it down in a wind with the sections are
pretty jammed) so it's probably a really good idea too.

>  I'm still looking for something to help that situation out.  Forecast
>  was for 25-35 MPH.  When it hit 51 MPH, I went out and started coaxing
>  it down.  Took a half hour to catch enough lulls to let it slide, but I
>  got it down.  That's the first time I've been at the bottom and seen it
>  actually flex during gusts.  I'm going to try to install my cheater rope
>  at the top today.  That way, I can pull on the upwind side when
>  something like that happens again.

    Your tower doesn't have positive pull-down? That does make it problematic
if the wind comes up and the tower is raised. I don't think a rope is going
to do anything (the forces are REALLY BIG) and I would not recommend it at
all. You don't want to be pulling sideways and down on an extended tower in a
strong wind.

    A better plan is to have the tower lowered slightly all the time. That
way it would be a little easier to get down plus you wouldn't have to worry
about it if the wind comes up anyway because the tower will be stronger when
not fully extended. You can always run it up the rest of the way if you want
to. I'd suggest lowering it by between 1/4 to 1/3 of the total height.

    Just a thought.

Cheers,    Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products