[TowerTalk] Re: Can takeoff angle be too low?

Dick pechie - KB1H rpechie@snet.net
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:18:08 -0500

Dick pechie - KB1H wrote:

> Here at KB1H we have a stack of Hy-Gain 105CAs. 84'/65'/45'. The top two
> rotate on the same mast and the bottom antenna is fixed on Europe. Using
> a WX0B Stackbox we can pick any single antenna, combination of any two,
> or all three. Usually we run the complete stack when running Europe but
> during non-contest times I play around. Many times the lowest antenna
> alone is the best antenna to Europe at midday. When you hear the
> tri-bander stations doing well then you can almost always predict the
> lower antenna is the antenna of choice.
>
> With almost 25dB of terrain gain towards Europe I suspect the usual
> poorer performance of the top antenna can be contributed to this gain
> and the installed height. I actually stopped my 20M tower at 90' because
> analysis said 120' was not as good!
>
> de Dick KB1H
>
> n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>
> > Here is more corroborating evidence that a LOW
> > antenna is sometimes best during daytime operation
> > on the high bands.  In this case, N2IC/0 found a 6L10
> > at 45 ft was better than his high KT34XA stacks to Europe
> > on 10 Meters during the CQ WW CW DX Contest in November
> > where he set a new all time W0 record.
> >
> > Any other similar observations?
> >
> > de  Tom  N4KG

I should also add that we have a 20M stack.(90'/65'/35') There are many
times that the lower antenna at 35' is the loudest to Europe. Again at
midday. More than one person has been at the station and their thoughts are
that the antenna at 35' was a waste. They need only to be here one time to
be proved wrong.