[TowerTalk] Re: Can takeoff angle be too low?

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:30:58 +0000

I think Dick has put his finger on one reason there seems to be
discrepancies between reporters.

That is the local terrain.

It is clear from YT that those on tops of high hills, favorably
sloping terrain, or high mountains will have much lower angles of
radiation for the same tower heights as "flatlanders".

It would not be surprising for the "hilltoppers" to see higher
antennas as being inferior at times.  I think that is because the
angle is now so low that it misses most of the distribution of arrival
angles.

Bottom line, you can get the preferred radiation angle via tower
height, terrain effects or both.  To generalize from one site to
another is confounding -- unless the terrains are similar.

You can investigate the effect of terrain on radiation angle through
the public domain program YT.  You'll have to search for it.  I have
long lost its location on the web.

73 de Brian/K3KO