[TowerTalk] Re: Can takeoff angle be too low?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:11:27 -0600

Bill,

Are you quoting from N6BV's statistics / model where
he ASSUMED 60 ft towers at BOTH ends of the path?
(which exhibit a NULL from 13 to 20 degrees on 10M).

That same study showed NO propagation on 20M
from ~20 to 28? degrees, assuming 100 ft high towers,
but an opening in the 30 degree range.  He didn't
seem to realize that his  Propagation Null  was coincident
with the  PATTERN NULL  of 100 ft high antennas.
I don't put much weight in his propagation "statistics"
based on ioncap and fixed (high) antenna heights.

To determine the best reception angle for the LOW
transmitting antennas that most DX stations are using,
it would seem best to model a Low Transmitting antenna
and look for the angle that produces the highest received
signal strength which is NOT the approach taken by N6BV.

During previous sunspot maximums I found my 35 to 40 ft
antenna best to Europe and especially Africa most of the
time once the band was open.  Several others in the area
have made similar observations when comparing 70 to 90 ft
high antennas with 35 to 40 ft (1 to 1.25 WL peaking at
12 to 14 degrees +/- 6 degrees).

When the MUF approaches 50 MHz, the ionosphere will
support up to 18-20 degrees on 28 MHz.  For the majority
of Europeans / Africans with antennas at 30 to 40 ft, it
would follow that THEIR signals would peak at higher
angles.  My "guess", based on pattern peaks of low
antennas and pattern NULLS of high antennas is that
the peak angles from Europe and Africa on 10M are
in the range of 10 to 15 degress during midday.

de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.