[TowerTalk] Crappy Welds?

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:21:42 -0800

> Wes & Linda wrote:
>

> > Let me see.... I seem to recall someone posting photos of the crappy welds
> > on freshly built Rohn tower sections that were being returned to Rohn for
> > replacement.

SNIP

Hello Wes,

There appears to be a misunderstanding about what Stan, W7NI's, pictures tell us
about the freight damaged Rohn tower sections he received.

There is absolutely no evidence in them that indicates there is anything wrong with
the welds. In fact, we can't see any welds in those pictures.

The fractures in those pictures were in the hot dip zinc coating fillets on the
unwelded side of the leg/brace connection (inside of tower), and were caused by the
bracing deformations that occurred from the mishandling.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV