[TowerTalk] Re: Can takeoff angle be too low?

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:33:32 EST

In a message dated 12/19/2000 12:21:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
n4kg@juno.com writes:

>   You can NEVER have TOO  MANY antennas !
>
>   Because of the NULLS in the vertical pattern of
>   Horizontally Polarized Antennas, it is IMPOSSIBLE
>   for any SINGLE Antenna to cover ALL the angles
>   that are supported by the ionosphere in spite of
>   the never ending desire to find the OPTIMUM height
>   for one single antenna!   de N4KG
>
>   TWO antennas positioned such that the Low antenna
>   fills in the first NULL of the High antenna is a BIG
>   improvement over a single antenna at any height.
>
>   Simple translation:  NO  SINGLE  ANTENNA can cover
>   ALL the angles supported by the ionosphere.  de N4KG

Shhhh!
This is why I am working on vertically polarized antennas, arrays - sorta
equivalent of Razors for the beach. Only verticals on the beach can cover
widest possible vertical angle from one antenna, all the way down to almost
horizon.
    My expedition to Cape Hatteras, NC for CQ WW (QRV as N2EE/4) had goal of
finding suitable QTH and verifying "fairy tales" of 6Y5A Team Vertical. SSB
part was operated from a hotel on the Atlantic side of Cape, LP and two
(fishing poles) verticals managed to beat US 10m LP record. On CW I found
better place with 240V and potential for verticals in the water, also I beat
US HP record but W4ZV topped that using his 3 stack of KLMs. With lack of
time for preparation and making better antennas, I was very pleased with
results and encouraged to explore designing some high performance antennas
for the beach. So the above N4KG statement might not be valid (for verticals
:-)
    I got EZNEC 3, slowly mastering it and hoping to have something for the
spring season. Any experiences or ideas from those who got their vertical
feet wet in the ocean are very much appreciated (to save me some sweat).

Yuri, K3BU
"who needs towers anyway?"