[TowerTalk] Re: Can takeoff angle be too low?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:11:47 -0600

As I see it, here is what is 'WRONG' with the previous "studies".

N6BV's FIRST study ASSUMED antennas at CHOSEN heights
at both ends for his analysis.  These included 4L Yagi's at 60 ft
on 10, 12, and 15 Meters, 3L Yagi's at 100 ft for 17, 20 Meters,
and dipoles at 100 ft for 30?, 40, and 80M.

Notice how the maximum observed angle stayed almost
constant from 10 through 20 meters under these assumptions.
Notice that 15M supports a higher angle than 17M due to the
different heights used in the model.  Observe the "hole" between
18 and 28 degrees created by the pattern NULL of 100 ft high
antennas on 20M.

The hundreds of hours of analysis demonstrated that the
angles "propagated" corresponded strongly to the
VERTICAL Radiation PATTERN of THOSE antennas.
NO propagation was seen at (higher) angles where the
antenna patterns exhibited NULLS since the ionosphere
was NOT excited at those angles!

N6BV's SECOND study placed ISOTROPIC Antennas
at both ends of the path. These excited the ionosphere
uniformly which tended to show that LOW ANGLES
had the least path loss.  To realize this low loss,
REQUIRES that antennas that MATCH those angles
be in place at BOTH ends (typically very HIGH antennas).

Higher angle modes with (slightly greater path loss) were
IGNORED as if they did not exist, which distorts the
perception by omission.  These higher angles would
receive more radiated power from LOW antennas
(more commonly used by DX stations) than the "preferred"
lower angles.  This correlates with observations that LOW
antennas often produce the strongest received signals from
DX when the ionosphere supports those higher angles.

In NEITHER study did N6BV account for greater power
radiated at HIGHER angles by LOW antennas.

To accurately reflect the influence of the ionosphere,
the path loss should be reported for ALL modes (angles)
that are supported.  THEN examine the resulting signal
accounting for different ANTENNA  HEIGHTS.

Another way to get to the "bottom line" would be to
model propagation from antennas at various heights
at one end (say the DX QTH) and use an isotropic
model at the receiving end.  I would suggest 3 or
4 heights, say 40, 70, and 120 ft ( 75% steps) or
35, 52, 80, and 120 ft (50% steps) using 2L Yagi's
(~6 dBi) for the transmit antennas which should be
close to the gain of most tribanders.  I would expect
that the "optimum" angles would be found to differ
according to antenna heights.

One other consideration.  IMHO, IONCAP tends to
under estimate MUF.  While the times for peak
MUF tend to be accurate, I have often found the
next band above predicted MUF's plotted in the
QST MUF charts to be open.

de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.