[TowerTalk] TV Antenna's on 6 meters

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:41:43 EST

In a message dated 12/19/00 7:20:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
emoore@windemullerelectric.com writes:

<< TT,

 Anybody ever try to load up a TV antenna on 6?  I have one on the roof and
 got to thinking that it might actually resonate there.  The only issue
 would be with the 75 Ohm feed point.  I realize it won't work that well, but
 with a tuner it might be better than nothing at all, 6 is the magic band
 after all!

 I just got a radio with 6 Meters on it and, with the weather we are having,
 I won't be installing any new antenna's anytime soon, so this TV antenna
 came to mind.  It's just sitting there since we got Cable, so I figured why
 not!
 Any comments/ideas?
 We need a new thread anyway!
 73,
 Eric
 K8CCA

It should work but I'd take it down and completely overhaul it.  TV elements
fold in the center for convenience of shipping.  There are 2 spring loaded
connections in the center high current section which deteriorate.  I've had
them open to an ohm meter test.  Capacitive yes-DC no.  It has a bad case of
"Alumitoid Yagititus".  I'd clean the joints and solder them with Flea market
Aluminum solder.  Or cover the joint and section with adheasive backed
aluminum tape.  This works great over yagi joints also.  If the tape covers
SS clamps it eliminates 2 more joints there--from the aluminum tubing to the
SS clamp and back to the tubing on the other side of the clamp.  You won't
know how well it will work unless all joints are clean and it won't last long
with just spring pressure.

I just got a big idea.  I'm going to make a Quad Log Periodic with joint
soldered.  No Electrical Deterioration--a design seldom considered.  Perhaps
in the new Century of 2000 this concept can finally be used by Mfgs. to give
the customer a better buy and performance.

So how do you like this thread?  K7GCO