[TowerTalk] HF2V with Elevated Mount - Experience?

tacoll@ix.netcom.com tacoll@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:39:25 -0500

On 19 Dec 2000, at 20:07, Byron Peebles wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to use the HF2V and 160 adapter
> as a roof mount antenna?  Where I am located, ground radials
> and ground mounting would be a problem, but a roof mount would
> have a fantastic view of the horizon.  Not sure what the windload would
> be, but a pretty simple mount (wall mount?) seems like it would be
> enough for a 30 foot antenna with the coils at the bottom.
>
> Byron

Never tried it elevated radials, but mine was ground mounted with
90 radials.  Worked 240 countries on 40, and 140 countries on 80.
The "ground mounting" tube got beat up in a wind storm, so I took a
2 X 6 and cut a 'point' on the end of it, and drove it into the ground.
Then I went to Radio Smack and bought a "kit" that you use to
mount a TV antenna mast to the eave of a house.  The ceramic
insulator was still intact, so I just put the antenna on its insulator,
bolted the RS brackets to the 2 X 6, and used two pieces of teflon
sheet about 2 inches wide to insulate the antenna from the U-
bolts/bracket.   After I got all the radials installed, I then went to
Homeless Depot and found a cutoff piece of 12 inch PVC pipe
about 2 feet long.  I cut a slice down ONE side of the pipe, so that I
could "wrap" it around the feedpoint and keep the lawnmover from
catching the connections.

I also devised a cheap way (with the aid of a Ameritron DC
switching box) to switch the antenna from CW to SSB.

Like somone else said, it isn't a beam or a gain array, but it
worked!  Biggest thrill with it: working XR0X with 1 call on 80CW
several years ago.  Biggest disappointment:  "working" VK9LX on
80CW, sending for the card, and getting a NIL.  He was PPPFW,
but I thought I had him.  Hi!

Tom, N2SR
tacoll2ix.netcom.com