[TowerTalk] HF2V with Elevated Mount - Experience?

Ken Kinyon - W7TS w7ts@Qwest.net
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:59:40 -0700

Hi Byron and the list,
When I lived in Washington State I had one of my HF2V's at the 24 foot level
of my roof. It had four radials for 80 meters only and four top loading
wires per the instruction manual.  I used it for transmitting primarily
since I found that my Cushcraft 40-2CD with a tuner and preamp was a better
receiving antenna than the Vertical on 80. It even had a some detectable
directivity.  In the year and half it was up, It worked well over 100
countries on 80. People with yagis and directional vertical arrays usually
beat me, but after that my antenna seemed to be next.  I should add that it
was on a knoll and the effective height over ground was probably  about 50
feet except to due west where it was about 40. Before it was on the roof, I
had it on top of a 40 foot Wilson Crank up mast.  it seemed to work about
the same, but was much more difficult to maintain.  I hope this was of
interest to some.
73 es Happy Holidays,
Ken W7TS

Kenneth E.  Kinyon