[TowerTalk] Flagpoles/ Thanks

Richard Thorne rthorne@tcac.net
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:43:01 -0600

Thanks for the replies on the flagpole idea.  All the responses were
posted to the reflector so I won't bother summarizing.

I think I may be changing directions.  My roof, which is currently cedar
shake, is going to be replaced within the next few weeks with a metal
roof.  I have a chimney in the back that I can mount a full size quarter
wave vertical on.  I think I can get away with 23' of aluminum which
will be good for 30m and up.  I'll use the aluminum to support quarter
wave wires for the other bands 10 thru 20, and maybe an inverted L type
antenna for 40m.  Then a couple of radials and a strap from the ground
side of the vertical to my metal roof.  That should provide for a nice
ground plane.  Since the chimney is in the back of the house it won't be
easily seen from the front street.

Richard Thorne
ARS N5ZC (ex KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Remote Control Airplanes:  AMA# 657062