[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.-WD40

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:28:37 EST

In a message dated 12/26/00 3:18:43 PM Pacific Standard Time, K7GCO writes:

<< In a message dated 12/26/00 7:49:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
107770.3462@compuserve.com writes:
 <<
  There was a video study done on Salmon biting lures several years ago. The
  guy wanted to try something to scare them off, used the bilge oil.  He said
  it markedly improved the bite.  I think your theory about killing scent
  is probably correct.  Same with WD-40.  Its used around here in Oregon for
  that purpose but if caught by a game warden it will get you a ticket for
  water pollution!

  My theory is the oil is something the fish are used to in the water as
  opposed to human scent, so it doesn't bother them.

  73 Jim KI7Y

 Jim:  You have hit the nail on the head.  There is so much oil contamination
in the lakes and rivers today that it seems normal to the fish.  The
petroleum distillates in WD-40 actually smells good to them.

 I was in N.Mex. in a high resort.  Someone from LA came as a guest.  He said
"the air smells funny."  I told him to put his nose up to an exhaust pipe and
it would smell normal again.  He needed a freshener can of "exhaust fumes"
for his room.

 I got a few E-mails verifying my view that WD-40 does have DMSO in it.  Thin
oil is not enough to be a good penetrator  K7GCO >>