[TowerTalk] Cellular Antennas on Building Roofs

Ron KA4INM Youvan ka4inm@qsl.net
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:08:57 +0000

Larry Burke WI5A wrote:

> There's a six or seven story office building not too far from here that has
> what appear to be cellular system antennas mounted directly on the rooftop
> (no tower). Looks like they are maybe 12-15 feet above where workers on the
> top floor of the building would spend most of their day. Given all the
> recent emphasis on RF safety it would seem this is coming a bit close for
> comfort, particularly at that frequency. Not knowing a lot about this type
> of antenna or service personally, can anyone out there shed light on how
> this installation might be considered acceptable?

  It is easily measured (with an isotropic power meter) or calculated.
  The antennae are quite directional, the TPO could range from 25 - 45
Watts on a tower, they could run 5 W. or so in smaller cell areas.
  The smaller cell areas are required in high traffic areas like in
cities, as each site has a kind-a fixed capacity.
  With no traffic the site only has one carrier on, so the RF level is
proportional to traffic.

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net  SENT Time and Date are UTC
      I upgraded to LINUX, the more I use it, the more I love it.
        It doesn't do everything for you, you must program it.
         Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm