[TowerTalk] Relays for High Power

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:31:43 -0600

My "Elmer" W5GEL, taught me to "derate" by a factor of 3 for HF, i.e., if
the contacts are rated for 9A DC, do not plan exceed 3A of RF.  Strictly a
rule of thumb, and assumes no hot switching..

73 John N5CQ

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of alsopb
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 9:08 AM
To: Pete Smith; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relays for High Power

Pete et al,

Had same problem with a relay on a 5 element sloper array becoming bad
on RX at my old QTH in PA. I switched over to KU series relays with 3
poles and paralleled them all.  I think that gaves about 30 amps
rating at DC.  The problem didn't reappear.  I use the same relays in
my indoor antenna switching relay box.  They have been pretty
reliable.  One can find 24v DC coils at hamfests and various other
surplus sources.

73 de Brian/K3KO