[TowerTalk] Relays for High Power

Tod Olson-MN tao@skypoint.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:54:33 -0600

My recollection of the specifications catalog for the RF1D series of vacuum
relays was that the contacts were rated in terms of DC, AC (60 Hz) and RF at
say 1 MHz 10 MHz and 30 MHz. The 30 MHz ratings were ( as I recall) about
1/3 the 1 MHz ratings in term of current.  This lends some support to the
'Elmer rule of thumb' mentioned by John. His advice on 'don't do hot
switching' is something I will echo.

In about 1970 I put together a system that allowed me to have QSK using a
Collins S-Line with a Collins 30S-1. I would time delay the keying by a few
milliseconds to allow the relays to close and open (and bounce) with no RF
on the contacts. I used the RF1D relay. It has a rating of about 1 amp at 30
MHz. My spare RF1D's are still unused because this switching system worked
well (you do need to have a low SWR on the feedline).

Personally, I use vacuum relays for switching wire antenna elements. (I
prefer the kind that are latching). I never switch things with RF applied.
Voltages can get very large for some configurations and the vacuum relays
seem to handle high voltages without a problem. The cost of the vacuum
relays (at flea markets, etc.) is more, but not dramatically more than the
Radio Shack relays. Their capability is much more.

Tod, KØTO