[TowerTalk] Re: Tower heighth question (reply long)

Peter Larsen ve6yc@home.com
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 17:00:51 +0000

Hi Mike et al:
Your situation reminds me of my own experience. I started out
with a 40 foot tower that I put 5 feet into the ground.
35 feet seemed to be a good height to me as I bought the tower
and an old CB antenna for $50 and then sold the antenna for
$50. I used a 5 elem 10 meter yagi until I upgraded
my license to Advanced (same as the US Extra).
I ran every thing from a Wilson system 36 (way to big for
tower had to get rid of it) to a 204 BA (traded it for a
Wilson 515 and a Wilson 520). The antenna I used the most was a
GB-33 (made by Hy-Gain for Grant Beams I think it was a TH-3).

So now to your question of going to 70 feet. I worked over 200
countries with the 35 footer. Would 70 feet be better?
Let me put it this way, you wouldn't believe the difference
unless
you heard it your self. In ten years of operating I had only
worked one FK8. In the week following putting up my 70 footer
I worked 2 FK8s. I worked DXCC in less than 3 months and with out
really trying I have worked DXCC on 15 and 20, I am short 5 for
DXCC on 10. This is just tuning around and QR. contesting.
Morocco with 1 call and 5 watts, yes 70 feet is worth it!!

Keep the TH-3 on the 40 (a friend of mine has worked 5 band
DXCC with his TH-3 at 40 and wires, no linear)
Then add the 70 footer with a good modern beam like a Skyhawk
or a C-36.
Let me know how things turn out.

--
 Peter J. Larsen