[TowerTalk] Radiation Resistance

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 20:00:34 -0500

This problem is usually modeled as a SERIES resistance. In a series
circuit the same current flows through each resistor, call it I. The
power dissipated in each branch is I squared times R. Since the I
squared is the same in each branch, the ratios of power dissipated in
each branch to the total power are the same as the resistance ratios to
the total resistance.

So if the ground resistance is 35 ohms, the radiation resistance is 12
ohms and the ohmic loss is 3 ohms, then the radiation efficiency is
12/(35+12+3) = 24%. (This is a common set of real life figures.)

On a 100 watt signal only 24 watts gets radiated. That's 6 dB down from
a near lossless antenna (e.g. 2" copper pipe 1/4 wave radiator with
radials in a salt water marsh on 40 meters).

[ Oh yes, and our 24% (in)efficient, 6 dB down antenna has a perfect 1:1
swr at resonance, and since the major resistance in the equation
(ground) is very broadband, it will have a low swr across the whole
band. That's what really counts....  Sorry, just couldn't resist. ]

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA