[TowerTalk] Mini-beams & Force 12 c3ss

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 22:40:59 EST

In a message dated 02/11/2000 1:59:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
WA4TUF@aol.com writes:

> Anyone care to comment on mini-beams in general and the Force 12 C3SS in
>  particular?
>
>  Lot size and neighbors dictate a mini-beam and I am wondering if this is a
>  good choice over the Cushcraft MA5B or other products out there I don't
yet
>  know about.

       Boy - THAT'S a good question! A big one too.

       Mostly truism: Gain equals boomlength.

      Mostly truism #2: Coils and other loading scenarios are typically
lossy. (I didn't say by how much.)

     You can just about draw a gain line from antenna loss (negative gain)
through a dipole to moderate monoband yagis to BIG antennas.

       The Force 12 antennas probably give the "most bang for the buck". Not
a huge endorsement, I just know they work (see also triband comparison report
for rapid education in triband yagis and how they "stack" up).

      Many first antennas are trapped verticals and "mini" antennas of one
ilk or another. It didn't take the owners long before they realized their
limitations and, like you, started looking for the next level of performance.
OTOH, you'll be happy with the C3 for many years to come.

       Do some reading and talking and learning about antennas and you'll
find an area of interest to just about everyone (that's "where the rubber
meets the road"). And hang out on TowerTalk where lots of interesting stuff
will jump into your computer.

Cheers & GL,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
www.championradio.com