[TowerTalk] MARRIAGE OF HAM RADIO & CELL TOWER

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:57:09 EST

From:
Atty. Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu
if sending attachments:  k1vr@gis.net

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:36:02 -0800 (PST) Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
<faunt@netcom.com> writes:

>Cute, but this would seem to put the screws to hams that are trying to
>get ordinance exemptions for their noncommercial towers.

K1VR:  Respectfully, I disagree. Marrying a commercial use tower and a
non-commercial ham use tower has been done forever. It has always
required that the local zoning permit a commercial use in a residential
district.  The mere fact that something can be done physically does not
mean that it is legal. Cell tower ordinances should continue to include
an exemption for hams.  AND -- installing a ham tower does not
automatically mean that a commercial use is permitted on the ham tower.
This just happened to be a situation in which it worked out.
.
.
.
.