[TowerTalk] RE:BMW Flex-disc and HELP

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:38:14 -0500

At 10:20 AM 2/17/2000 -0700, Gary McDuffie, Sr. wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:47:05 +0000, K4SB wrote:
>
>> Two things guys, in the first place, what is a Flex-disc? And
>> where is it usually installed in an auto?
>
>And third, how is it used in the rotor setup?  Someone else asked the
>same thing, and I'll repeat it since no one answered it yet.
>
>Seems lots of people know about this 'trick' and assumes everyone else
>does too.  What are we talking about here?

A rubber shock absorber, captured between steel flanges, normally found in
the driveshaft of rear-drive cars.  Sudden shock loads are spread out
through the resilience of the rubber, reducing the change of damaged
rotator gears.  Requires some machine work, typically, to put it in the
"driveline" of your rotator, but some, like Dave Leeson, swear by them.
His came out of a BMW, but lower cost solutions seem to be appearing now...

73,  Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm