[TowerTalk] C31XR? ANT file - Problems

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 03:52:28 -0500

Hmmm.

If the CONTENT (intellectual property, antenna part measurements
included) of the page is not protected by the copyright, what good is a
copyright? A copyright means more than you can't run it through a
photocopier. If program source code is copyrighted and you use that
source code in your own stuff without permission, you copied it
illegally. Doesn't matter whether you used a keyboard to copy it, or
copied it with a pencil, or cut and pasted with an editor, or dictated
it. It's copied regardless of what media transformations you may have
used, or what notational conventions were used and/or changed.

The model file you posted (except for 3 elements) is an exact copy of
the dimensional material from the copyrighted page 19 of my C31XR
assembly manual.

I would suspect that you DO have some sort of copyright restrictions
there. Pretty hard to do international commerce without them.

At another level, though, why would one want to do things that undermine
a manufacturer that is staying in the ham antenna business and is at the
cutting edge of ham antenna development. Kind of like burning down the
corner grocery store. All that was accomplished is that now we have to
go to the next neighborhood to get food. And that guy knows he can raise
prices and sell spoiled food because the competition is gone.

As to K6STI, I strongly suspect he had permission to publish the TH6DXX
material.

If Tom wants to come on here and publish his C31XR design, he knows how.
Otherwise those model file numbers belong to him.

73, Guy
k2av@contesting.com
Apex, NC, USA