[TowerTalk] replacing guy wires

K4RO Kirk Pickering K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 23:13:02 -0600 (CST)

I replaced all of my guys with Philly a couple of years ago.
Total of 12 guy wires in all.  I just did them one at a time,
loosening the guy, then climbing up carrying the new guy.
I then removed the old, attached the new, and climbed down to attach
and tension it with a Loos gauge.  Actually it was slightly more
complicated beause I also added Rohn guy brackets at the time.
The old guys were attached by just slipping the grips around the
legs.  The big Philly grips and thimbles are attached to the guy
bracket eyes with quality shackles rated at or above the Philly
ultimate breaking strength (6700 lb.)

It was a lot of exercise, but the system is holding up well.  I'm
on a pretty good ridge, and get some fierce winds from time to time.

Good luck with your replacement.

Station tour at:  http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/stations/k4ro_stn.html

-Kirk  K4RO

Happy New Year to all!