[TowerTalk] Beverage Questions (Revisited)

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:32:16 -0500

On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 07:48:12 -0600, you wrote:

>So, I should put the analyzer at the antenna and adjust the transformer
>ratio first?  Or try to flatten response by varying the resistance?  The
>SWR seems to be lower above and below the 160 meter band.

Use the method to see the dips as you vary the frequency. Set the
termination resistance to minimize the dips (looking to terminate the
beverage in it's characteristic impedance). You may find this setting
extremely broad.

THEN set the transformer ratio to get the minimum swr. But this will
not be all that critical on RX. 3:1 Turns ratio will probably be fine.

On the height of the beverage, why would 7 feet not work for your
situation? This is a much more mainline height for a beverage and has
better off-mode rejection. N4AF's beverages out at his Eastern NC
flat-land QTH are 7 feet, and they work very nicely (used them in
CQWWCW). In his case 7 feet is the anti-hanging height. He sometimes
walks out to his towers in the dark...

--.  .-..
73, Guy

Guy Olinger, K2AV