[TowerTalk] Beverage Questions (Revisited)

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:35:44 EST

In a message dated 04.01.00 05:49:07 Pacific Standard Time, dietz@texas.net
writes:

<<
 Maurizio Panicara wrote:
 > Actually, 14 ft is too high not to lose a part of the beverage benefits
due to the antenna response to other > unwanted modes. Lower the height, if
possible. Best is between 4 to 8 ft.

    Who says 4-8 ft is the best height?  Can that be shown in Eznec?  Since a
beverage can be used on 160-40M, what band is it optimum.  It should be
stated in terms of WL high if a best exists.  I know of Beverages that use
insulated wire 3' high and on the ground (the ultimate of simplicity) that
have so much better reduction of noise that compensates for the lower gain.
I plan to float one on a river going by my place.  That should be interesting
compared to one 100' beside it.  Those who live next to a frozen lake should
try an insulated wire on the ice for receive and xmit.
    Does anyone know the best source of information on 2 wire Beverages with
reversible patterns.  Has anyone run 2 wires underneath a Beverage on both
sides far enough to cancel any transmission line cancellation affect?  I
think I'll try that in Eznec just to see what affect it might have terminated
or unterminated.
k7gco