[TowerTalk] Why Are Some Stations Stronger When 20m Dies?

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:59:33 -0500

We have recently relocated to the central Gulf coast of
Florida from New Hampshire and I am noticing a similar pattern
that clearly cannot now be explained by my geographic location.

When 20m dies I can always still hear Spanish speaking Ham stations
blasting in while American Hams are largely indiscernible.

Are there some folks out there using antennas or gear the rest
of us should know about and get access to?  Or are there some
places that permit their Hams to run vastly more power than
American Hams are permitted?

Have wondered about this for years!

Also, is there a certain mix of antenna types that I could switch between
that would allow me to maintain contacts longer as the bands begin to
fade?  Especially focused on 20m.

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP