[TowerTalk] Re: Why Are Some Stations Stronger When 20m Dies?

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:05:42 -0800

David,

In order to better understand the north-south propagation on 20 meters, you might
want to spend some time on 20 meters during one of the major DX contests. What I think
you will find is that early on (just after your sunset) you will be hearing lots of
loud W stations as well as South and Central American stations. As the evening wears
on, you will notice that the W stations start to fade while the South and Central Americans
are still coming thru loud and clear. Mind you that the W stations that you will hear fading
are not going to be little pistol stations, they will be first tier contest stations
with big antennas and 1500 Watt amps (some may be greater!). I think you will notice
that the Caribean and Central American stations will begin to fade next, leaving
only the South Americans with big signals. You will still hear W's, but there signals
will be weak and watery as they will be coming to you via scatter over the South rather
than directly.

As far as your comments regarding stations in South Texas versus Mexico, you said Mexico
or therabouts. The thereabouts makes a huge difference, as propagation tends to be very
latitude sensitive. Stations in southern Mexico, or Costa Rica for instance will have
much different propagation than stations in Northern Mexico. That is the other advantage
of listening during a contest. You will hear stations in Central America working people
you can't even hear. This is mainly due to geographical differences and much less so due
to antennas (some of these stations may be running crude antenna which are much less
effective than your own), and definetly not due power since your are talking about difference
in receiving ability.

While I would concede that power may play a factor in the strength of these Spanish speaking
stations, the bulk of the effect is geographic (e.g. propagation). After all 10KW is only
about 8dB better than 1500Watts.