[TowerTalk] Please help ID this tower.

F. V. Encarnacion, Jr. geo_ah6bv@juno.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:58:52 -0500

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 40 ft tower that I would appreciate help on
identifying and any specifications for it.

It's galvanized steel construction, 10-ft. long sections with three 1-in.
o.d. tubes equilaterally spaced 12-in. apart. The three tubes on one end
are necked down to 7/8 in. o.d., with two 1/4 in. dia. bolt holes spaced
1-1/2 in. apart.  Same bolt hole patterns for the 1-in. o.d. end. Bracing
pieces (one on each side, horizontal, same height - meaning not x or
diagonal) are welded to the tubes 14-1/2 in. apart.  The bracing pieces
are initially 2-3/8 in. in width flat bar and after 1-in. from each end,
have been formed into a large radius 'sigma' shape with a width of 1-3/4
in.

I have 3 identical midsections and a top gable section.  The top section
has a bolted on guy clamp.  The hinged bottom plate is a 15-in square,
3/8 in thick plate with four anchor bolt holes.  A triangular shaped
section fabricated of flat stock (with square shaped brace within) has
three stubs that a section bolts onto.  This triangular base has two
"ears" that are hinged to the base plate.  The triangular piece has hold
down bolt holes close to the single opposite tube.

I can surmise that it needs to be guyed. I'm looking to see if I can
brace it to the house (would be about 16-ft up) using through rods and a
a backing plate.

Thanks in advance.

George AH6BV / W1