[TowerTalk] Advice on type of tower

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:32:51 -0500

On 1/11/2000 23:56, thaxton@ptgroup.com at thaxton@ptgroup.com wrote:

>I would like to solicit feedback and opinions on two types I
>am considering.  I am looking at a crankup, motorized, and a
>foldover type tower.  What are the drawbacks and good points to
>these two styles of towers. I believe a height of 55 to 75 ft. will be
>sufficent for my qth.

Each tower type has a tradeoff. You didn't mention other types, but
perhaps you should. I divide towers into three categories:

* Guyed / Bracketed. Typically made by Rohn, but there are other
manufacturers. When you get right down to the specs, these towers can
hold up more antennas than anything else. Disadvantage is having the
space to put down guy anchor points. Some people don't want to have to
deal with guy wires in their yard. Bracketing to a structure (typically
your house) is an alternative to guys, but the usable height above the
bracket as well as the capacity of the tower is limited. You also have to
engineer a solid bracket attachment to the structure.

* Freestanding. Freestanding towers can have nearly the capacity of guyed
towers. They have two disadvantages: they cost a LOT more than guyed
towers with the same capacity and height; they require a huge monument of
concrete in the ground to hold them up.

* Crankup / Tiltover. A crankup is typically a variation of a
freestanding tower that varies in height. Advantage is the ability to
crank the system down in poor weather, or to appease neighbors.
Disadvantages are numerous: crankups with any reasonable capacity are
incredibly expensive -- manufacturers usually compensate by understating
their ratings (ie ratings at 50 mph, when the minimum EIA specification
is for 70 mph); crankups require a monument of concrete (although there
are some types that are bracketed); crankups can NOT be climbed when
extended or retracted (there are exceptions -- KNOW your tower -- don't
plan on climbing a crankup unless the manufacturer says it is safe),
installation of antennas may require tall ladders, scaffolds or a bucket
truck. Tiltover towers are a variation. Some towers both crank up and
tilt over. Tilting solves a lot of antenna installation problems, but
comes at a reduction in capacity. Some tiltover designs are guyed, and
have nearly the capacity of guyed towers -- these can only be tilted in
very calm weather.

I was in your position a few years ago. I moved and vowed never again to
install a roof tower, but wanted a REAL tower instead. At first, I
dreamed of a freestanding tower. But the concrete monument deterred me.
Next, I thought of crank ups, but found their capacities to be abysmal,
unless I paid in excess of $6000.

Currently, I'm collecting parts for a bracketed installation of 45 feet
of tower. Not as high as I originally thought, but I'm confident it will
meet my needs without fear of being blown over in forseeably bad weather.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales