[TowerTalk] Advice on type of tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:17:13 EST

In a message dated 00-01-11 23:58:08 EST, thaxton@ptgroup.com writes:

>     I finally have the space to put up a tower.  This will be my first
>  one!! :)  I would like to solicit feedback and opinions on two types I
>  am considering.  I am looking at a crankup, motorized, and a
>  foldover type tower.  What are the drawbacks and good points to
>  these two styles of towers. I believe a height of 55 to 75 ft. will be
>  sufficent for my qth.

      A blank sheet of paper - cool!

     First things first though. What's your county windspeed? (Hint: you can
look it up on www.championradio.com under Tech Notes.)

     What is your proposed antenna system? Guyed or self-supporting tower?

     I'm personally in favor of towers that are mechanically reliable;
crank-ups and foldovers both are mechanically complex and have their
limitations.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech