[TowerTalk] Roof top towers

Dave D'Epagnier DAVED@ctilidar.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:55:33 -0700

I just moved back to the city and unfortunately have a small lot where only
a roof top tower will work. My roof is 25' high and I'm planning on putting
a Glen Martin 17.5' roof top tower up so I can end up with about 45' or so
at this installation.

Does anyone have any experience with these towers? Are they really able to
free stand under the wind loads that GM specifies? Does the '2x8x8 under the
rafter support' shown in the ARRL antenna books really work and hold up in
the wind? Should this really be guyed etc? Am I making a mistake?
By the way GM advertises that this tower has a ladder built into one side.
The assembly instructions however state that GM does not recommend climbing
this tower. How am I supposed to get my antenna up there? With a helicopter?

Any comments are appreciated.

--Dave
K0QE