[TowerTalk] Roof top towers

Bob Turner N2SCJ@MSN.COM
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:46:23 -0500

FWIW,

I have a 9' Create Roof tower.  The roof has nailers between joists where
legs sit.  The tower is guyed on 4 points.  The guy anchors are 1/2 inch eye
bolts directly through the roof rafters.

There is about 14' of Chrome Moly 4130 mast in it.  About 8' sticks out of
the top, attached to this is about 7' of aluminum mast side clamped to the
Chrome Moly for a total of about 15' of mast sticking out the top.  On this
I have from bottom to top.

(5) El, 12', 6m yagi
(15) El, 21', 2m yagi.
(15) El, 19', 222 yagi
(22) El, 14', 432 yagi
(45) El, 12', 1296 looper - side mounted on horizontal crossmember attached
to mast
Create VHF Log Periodic - side mounted on horizontal crossmember attached to
mast
VHF tri band vertical.

I'm in the middle of my second winter with this up now.  Yesterday we had 50
mph winds.  I suspect its been exposed to slightly higher winds.  It is
still up without damage.  I've watched it in what I estimate to be 40 mph
gusts.  The tower does not budge.  The mast sways about 5" inches at the end
of its 15 foot length.

I used the MARC program available from Champion when calculating loads.
Everything appears within rated loads.

After reading other replies, I should add there are currently two ground
connections coming down from the roof to about 8 ground rods.  The grounds
come down off of different legs.  One is about #4 aluminum, and the other is
2" copper strap.  I intend to add more.

73
Bob
N2SCJ