[TowerTalk] Roof top towers

W4ZW@home.com w4zw@home.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:39:23 -0500

You'll love it!

I have the 9' Glen Martin on my roof with a Cushcraft 402CD and a A4S.  Been
through lots of big storms with no problems.  QTH here is right on the Gulf
(Casey Key Island).  My house if Gulf front (about 300 yds setback) with
good winds on a regular basis.  I have a flat roof on the 4th deck level
(45' about ground and about 65' above sea level which puts my 402CD at
almost 100' above sea level.  I use a 16' all aluminum mast (2", 5/8" wall)
with about 4' inside the tower. I've watched the elements bow in 50-70 mph
micro bursts but the tower and they do fine.

I did take the antennas down the fall or 1998 when the hurricane was just
offshore as a precaution.  Been up almost four years so far without a hitch.
I'd recommend the 9' model, bigger base and better wind load figures.  Their
thrust bearing, however; rusted within 18 months here.  Be prepared for some
roof drumming noise in high winds.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"