[TowerTalk] Advice on type of tower

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:07:03 -0800

Hi Don,

My comments are inserted below:

thaxton@ptgroup.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>     I finally have the space to put up a tower.  This will be my first
> one!! :)  I would like to solicit feedback and opinions on two types I
> am considering.  I am looking at a crankup, motorized, and a
> foldover type tower.  What are the drawbacks and good points to
> these two styles of towers. I believe a height of 55 to 75 ft. will be
> sufficent for my qth.

Crankups:  Inherently dangerous.  There are just too many ways to get
seriously hurt on one to even list them here.  I would never own one.

Tiltovers:  Can't put much on them in the way of antenna load and you
can't go very high either.  A tribander at about 60 feet is about all they
are good for.

>     I will have the foundation and rigging done by a professional
> contractor ( if I can find one here in Oregon!)  I will do the antenna
> work, rotor install, etc.  I plan on using "hardline" to feed the
> structure.

There is a very good professional contractor here in Oregon that can help
you.  Call Paul Nyland, K7PN, at 503-622-4403.

Neither crankups or tiltover towers lend themselves well to the use of
hardline since both of them require very flexible feedlines when they are
cranked up and down or tilted over.

>     I would appreciate any and all feedback, recommendations and
> hard won experience anyone cares to impart.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Don Thaxton
> N0FGK
> thaxton@ptgroup.com

My personal opinion is that guyed towers that do not crank down or tilt
over is the only way to go.  Yes, it means you have to climb the tower to
do any work on it but they will hold huge antenna loads and they are FAR
less dangerous than crankups.  I bet ten times as many people are hurt on
crankups than on guyed non-crankup, non-tilting towers.  So you should
either learn how to climb or hire someone to do it for you.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com