[TowerTalk] Bearings (wasRoof top towers)

Greg Gobleman k9zm@frontiernet.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:58:47 -0600

I must admit to not having been exposed to the larger contest/DXing groups
and this I am sure limits my experiences.  We are a bit isolated here in
Central IL.  But the only failures I have ever seen and heard of, involved
using Farm Type bearings not suited for the top of the tower.  Add to this
the once popular Throw-out bearing from a truck clutch system.  These
usually failed because of something rusting.  Although I have seen the peens
in the races of rotors I have yet to see a failure because of this.  Unless
this contributes to the destruction of the ring gear by allowing excessive
play.  My experience with the Glen Martin thrust bearing is limited, because
mine is only 18 months old.  It was just fine in October.  My TB3 hasn't
seen enough use to develop any kind of problem yet.

I suppose one could believe that the accountant designed bearings that would
make the most profit.  Those most likely to fail and be replaced.  Where the
Engineer designed the block of treated Oak knowing it was simple,
inexpensive and would serve the purpose for years.

I would guess this all fits in with what we have been told over the years.
Some have been told that they need to get the weight off the rotor.  Other
folks have been told that the rotor has been designed to take the weight.
Does a mast pipe work better pinched by a thrust bearing or just able to
freely flex?  I have seen tip sheets and some good info, but never a printed
article in a national magazine denouncing just how poorly engineered some of
the tower related products might be and showing why.  Rohn says that they
designed the TB3 to run dry, it requires no lubricant.  Does that mean it is
poorly designed?  Not if on average it serves the designed purpose for the
required number of years it was designed for.

As to the bearing races in rotors, somewhere, someone once said that you
would get a good, well designed rotor if you could just sell as many rotors
as you could washing machines.

73
Greg K9ZM