[TowerTalk] Crank ups

John Langdon jlangdon@outer.net
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 12:23:02 -0600

First, freight companies never damage
tower sections of non-crank up towers?

Yes, but crank ups are usually much harder to repair or replace, and it is
much easier to get "hidden damage" on a crankup.

Second, the US Towers HDX series of crank up towers are rated at 30
sq.ft. of wind load up to 89 ft..  Not too many guyed towers can achieve
that.  At least not competitively priced ones

Check the wind speed for that rating.  As I recall it is 50 mph.  At 70 mph,
I'll bet the rating is 15 foot or less if they will talk about it at all,
and at that wind speed rating, most guyed towers are very competitive in
price. At 90, the rating is probably much less than that, if not down to
zero, and there are only guyed towers as a choice.  The other rating they
don't talk about is the "crank down wind speed".  I have seen crankups that
were rated for 50 mph that would not crank down unless the wind speed was
less than 10 mph.  I have watched them get blown to pieces in a hurricane
because they could not be let down, and the pieces damaged lots of other
stuff.  I have also seen a crankup tower owner cut his cables in desperation
trying to get the tower down, but the side forces from the wind would not
let it come down.  This tower is now a big problem, because when the wind
shifts, down it comes, fast and dangerous.

Crankups are sometimes the only thing that can be used, but IMHO that is the
only time they should be used.  And they require extra caution and planning
in spades.

Third, here in CA on city sized lots, there just isn't room to properly
guy a tall tower, not to mention the additional attention that guy wires
might bring to the tower.

Even on a small lot, I would still want a Trylon or something free standing
over a crankup.  I'd sleep better, and the price for similar wind load
ratings (70 mph) is reasonable.  And if you get winds above 70 mph and your
crankup comes loose and damages a neighbor's property or injures someone,
some insurance company lawyer is going to make hay from the 50 mph rating.
They might say something like "installing a tower rated for 50 mph in a
county rated at 70 mph or more wind speed is "negligent".  Not a nice
thought.

All IMHO.

73 John N5CQ

A few things come to mind here.  First, freight companies never damage
tower sections of non-crank up towers?  Seems to me I've read of several
cases right here.

Second, the US Towers HDX series of crank up towers are rated at 30
sq.ft. of wind load up to 89 ft..  Not too many guyed towers can acheive
that.  At least not competitively priced ones.

Third, here in CA on city sized lots, there just isn't room to properly
guy a tall tower, not to mention the additional attention that guy wires
might bring to the tower.

Just my thoughts.  I could be wrong.

Jim
WB6YAW