Fw: [TowerTalk] Rebar

Tom Hellem thomas@cybrzn.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:12:57 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Friday, January 21, 2000 8:16 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebar

>Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>      Working with my PE on a Trylon Titan self-supporting tower
drawing/calc
>package, I found out something interesting. Since the vast majority of the
>tower base concrete is below grade, the purpose of the rebar isn't
>structural. That is, it doesn't have to help hold any exposed concrete
>together. It turns out that the primary purpose for rebar in the tower base
>is to control concrete shrinkage. That was news to me.
>
>Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC

I have a hard time believing that the steel in a concrete tower base is not
structural. Why do engineers specify lots of steel in foundation walls,
bridge piers, etc? They are also below grade. Controlling shrinkage in
concrete is done by controlling the amount of water in the mix-the higher
the slump, the more shrinkage you will get.

73. K0SN