Fw: [TowerTalk] Rebar

Kurt Andress K7NV@contesting.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:44:33 -0800

Tom Hellem wrote:

> Hi TT'ers:
> I was taught the same thing in trade school about concrete- it will handle
> a tremendous amount of load in compression but its tensile strength is
> minor. I can see how you may not need much steel in a properly guyed tower,
> as all the lateral wind forces are converted to straight downward pressure
> by the guy system (i.e. compression), but a self supporting tower is
> another matter. Seems to me if the base developed any vertical cracks, the
> tower may be allowed to move sideways. If this is not a structural
> question, then what is? That is what the steel is doing- providing the
> required tensile strength in the concrete. I remain unconvinced.
>
> 73
> Tom K0SN

Regardless of the arguement over what the steel is doing in the
footing....I think you may be correct...

Please be careful with the simplistic notion that:

"...all the lateral wind forces are converted to straight downward
pressure > by the guy system (i.e. compression)..."

A guyed tower is a system of members that exhibit elastic behavior. When
we forget that part, we come to erroneous conclusions.

You can visit the URL below and read some stuff about it.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/