[TowerTalk] Homebrew towers

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:18:34 EST

In a message dated 00-01-22 12:03:49 EST, fmeier@uniserve.com writes:

>  It seems that homebrewing towers is now politically incorrect?
>  In older Antenna handbooks there are frequent references to ownerbuilt
>  support structures. This doesn't happen any more. Any comments?

      Unless you're a structural engineer, there are very few people talented
enough to design a proper tower for the load and conditions plus it should
comply with the TIA-222 tower structure standard. Doing "hip-pocket"
engineering is just a dangerous crap-shoot. If it's designed properly, then
you have to get a fabricator to build it and then you have to get the tower
to the galvanizer's. Sounds like a LOT of work to me.

     Why re-invent the wheel when Rohn and Trylon towers are reasonably
priced and will do just about anything you want to do?

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products