[TowerTalk] 160 M INV L - GROUND RADIAL CONNECTION RECOMMENDATIONS?

Tom Sykes nu7j@webcombo.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:51:57 -0800

Esteemed TT colleagues:

I'm finally getting motivated to install  a half-way decent antenna for 160.

I plan to erect an inverted-L, using my tower (Rohn 25) as a support for the
wire.  I plan to start with 16 or 32 radials (some laid on the ground and
some buried) and add additional radials as time and energy permit.

1. What are the best methods to connect the radials and coax shield?  I've
seen "radial busses" advertised but I'm not sure if they're worthwhile, or
if there's a better method.  I'd like to have a convenient way to add
radials in the future.

Here's a link to a company which sells a radial buss.  (A radial buss is a
round piece of metal with connection points around the perimeter).  I think
I've seen a second type of radial buss advertised but I haven't been able to
find this info.  I imagine many of you have home brewed radial busses.

http://www.qth.com/lance/GP-1.html

2. How close should the base of the L be to the tower base, to avoid
interaction?

3.  Is it necessary to maintain separation between the inverted L radial
system and the tower ground system?
The tower will be grounded on 3 sides with 8 foot ground rods.  (Can't
imagine how it would be possible for the wires not to cross at some point).

4.  If I choose to use a variable capacitor in line with the coax center
conductor, as suggested in the ARRL antenna book and other publications, how
do you recommend weather proofing the capacitor/coax connection?  If a
weatherproof container or some sort is used, what method do you recommend
for the wire to pass through the container?

Any suggestions you can provide would be appreciated!

73,

Tom, NU7J